Tuesday 1 February 2011

Three Ways Procrastination Has Improved My Writing


So you're not in the mood to write. What to do? You feel guilty wasting your precious life in front of a television screen but can't face an empty page.

Journal Writing
or blogging
This has forced me to do something I never really intended when I became a writer: to learn to face and express reality through words. While escapism is my goal, I believe writing, like art, can benefit from real life studies to improve technique. Besides, there's no pressure to create anything. Just describe what happened in your day and within a week you might find yourself embellishing shamelessly, making drama out of a cheese toastie with ease.

Reading
I know they say writers should read, but sometimes I find myself reading for days without writing. That's why I must clarify: reading is incredibly productive between writing sessions. If you have neglected your own writing, then how can you compare it to the aspects that work and don't work for you? If you get it right, reading can give you the unique voice you've been looking for by seeing what you favour against other writers. 

Daydreaming
This seems obvious. But let me ask you something. When was the last time you lay down, in complete silence, closed your eyes and went on a little head adventure? Met some interesting people who told you chilli peppers make great musicians or that candlewax is their preferred method of blinding a victim? Create without pressure. Have fun, for goodness sake!


(I actually wrote this about a month ago and left it as a draft, thinking it unhelpful, but some of the ROW motivational messages have been mentioning how procrastination is good, so I thought I'd post it after all.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I could hug you already!