Thursday 23 December 2010

The Obsession of Ownership

Why are we obsessed with collecting, buying more and more when we have enough? Shops are crowded, full of pushy people and long queues with hot and bothered shop assistants serving you with zombie self-loathing.

Ok, I exaggerate. Sometimes shopping with friends can be fun, just for the experience. But the must-have objects are the problem. I've been so busy filling my flat up with beanbags and books that when I cut myself yesterday and it wouldn't stop bleeding, I realised that I didn't own a first aid kit. Isn't that just the height of arrogance? To think that I need beanbags more than bandages? I improvised with duct tape and some cotton swabs (painful peeling off later, I can tell you).

Everyone, though, should stop and consider how much they have, and what they really need in life, before they drool over the latest fad.

We don't live long. I don't want to spend all my time shopping for a future I might not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I could hug you already!